The LGA and the Independent Group provide a range of support to members, including lobbying government via our policy and PR work, development opportunities, peer support and advice. The political groups lie at the heart of everything the LGA does. Find out about our policy work, read our annual reports and other publications, find out more about our Be a Councillor work and see how you can get involved.
The political groups are tasked with:
- helping to formulate and sustain LGA Group priorities, campaigns, policy, media and public affairs activities.
- maintaining a watching brief over the performance of councils and helping to co-ordinate support when necessary.
- influencing, liaising and networking with government, shadow teams and party administrations.
- representing and disseminating the views of political groups into the LGA Group.
- maintaining constructive relationships with respective controlling and opposition groups.
- providing help, support, training and advice to leading, board and panel members.
- populating boards and panels and ensuring that they are dealt with proportionately.
- organising group elections and populating boards and panels to ensure that they are dealt with proportionately.
- overseeing LGA appointments to outside bodies.